Thursday 30 May 2024

The end of autumn

The feijoa tree is absolutely laden with fruit and with the recent winds the fruit has been falling all over the drive. I stewed the little ones this morning after sorting out some of the larger ones to go to Daniel, youngest grandson, who loves them.


Then after I'd kept some for ourselves I put a bucketful at the gate for people to help themselves. They didn't last long and the lady who took them came back and gave us a jar of jam she'd made previously and a couple of kid's wheatbags, which can go to a couple of the great grands.  :)


It was such a beautiful autumn day I decided to go for a walk down the Silverstream after lunch. The sun was shining and so I didn't need a jacket but wore the vest my daughter had given me for Mother's Day. It was just the right weight for the day.  :)
 

It's the last day of autumn tomorrow although you wouldn't be blamed if you thought it had ended several weeks ago. Anyway the wildlife was staying out of sight, maybe it was still a bit early in the day for ducks (that's as wild as the wildlife gets). There were quite a few dogs out walking their people but I never got any snaps of them.


The trees were in different stages of losing their leaves, this one has almost none but the walnut tree further back in the picture still has a lot on the branches. I think there are a couple of dogs with their walker under it.


There were still some red summer roses in bloom on the fence.
 And a nice seat to rest and just enjoy the view if you feel so inclined.


An apple tree in someone's yard with a wonderful crop on it. The birds were certainly enjoying them.


And a tiny solitary pansy along the fenceline. (Ignore the rubbish).
Isn't it pretty and really an old fashioned colour.

And now I need to go and get tea on.
So enjoy your week and I'll see you next time.
Diana

10 comments:

  1. Although the temperature might be dropping, the skies still have plenty of blue in them and perfect for an autumn walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and a lovely blue sky! It was very sweet of the lady to bring you a jar of jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the walk because of the trees you saw along the way. That apple tree looks laden with apples. It was good to see the feijoas also full of fruit that you gathered and stewed. It was kind of the neighbour to bring you a jar of jam. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice walk. Never realized your seasons change on different days than ours. I would think your last day of Fall would correspond with our last day of Spring which comes in mid June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I checked. Winter officially begins on June 21st. I've lived all these years thinking the beginning of June was the beginning of winter. You live and learn :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely lady to bring you back some jam. It looks like a nice place to go for a walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely photos from your walk. Sounds like perfect weather for walking. How nice to get the jam from the lady. A nice way for her to say thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. I still need to look up that fruit you mentioned. I do not know what it is, but it must be good! I am glad you are enjoying these lovely days before your winter sets in. I could use some "winter/fall" weather right now. It has been in the mid 90's all week, and it is VERY hot! And it isn't even really summer yet! Yikes! I enjoyed your post! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diana, I’m going to have to keep a closer eye on your blog. Well, after a loooonnnggg winter and cool spring it’s a delight to view your blog with all the autumn photos (thanks to the Southern Hemisphere). Just amazing … that apple tree! 😊 Someone should pack up those apples and ship them to Seattle! 😊 Thanks for an interesting and delightful post and for your recent kind comment on my blog. John

    ReplyDelete
  9. First day of Winter today too. I've been thinking about getting myself a padded vest, we have them at work.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you