Wednesday 24 January 2024

A sociable day

 Yesterday dawned, cold wet and windy. Our high was 14C. It's the middle of summer for goodness sake. I wasn't impressed.

Regardless, we were due to meet my GKB's sister and her husband down in Port Chalmers for a lunch date, so we rugged up warm and headed away. The wind was howling down the main street when we arrived and really quite unpleasant, cutting through our layers.

There had been a cruise ship due in but the stopover was cancelled due to the high winds. But that worked in our favour as there was plenty of room in the cafe we chose. We still had a few minutes before SIL and her hubby arrived so we went inside to wait. When they arrived BIL was carrying a large brown grocery bag - my GKB laughingly said, 'he's brought his lunch with him'. But no, it was a bag of garden produce for us from his garden.


He has a big garden and he is very generous each time we visit, we always head home with veges freshly dug from the garden. It is never expected, I'm always surprised even after all these years, and it's always appreciated.
We had a lovely relaxed lunch and caught up with all the family news, we hadn't seen each other since well before Christmas.

Later in the evening my home study group was meeting again for the first time this year. It was to be a dessert and coffee evening and we all took a dessert. I have to admit to cheating as mine came from the supermarket, my excuse - I'd been out all day. 
It was the first time we'd met together as a group for about six weeks, so again a time to catch up and just enjoy each others company. 


Two hot, two cold, cream and icecream, some snacks and home made shortbread, Yum. And of course tea or coffee depending on your preference.

That's it for now.
Have a good week,
Diana






5 comments:

  1. Hi ya, to answer your question on my post, yes Blackball is across from Ngahere, it's like over the bridge after Stillwater. Nice to have someone who know where I"m talking about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of those vegetables. We are having roasted vegetables and sausage for supper!
    Nice that you study group got to meet again and a taste of all of those desserts is a bonus!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I go again, trying to comment.
    Everyone's veggies seem to be really flourishing this year. I'm making cucumber pickle later on today and the rhubarb is simmering as I sit here.
    Sorry to hear about the unseasonal weather. Maybe it's just the right weather for coffee and cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to be given those fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to be given home grown veg.. love your blog, I found it when I blog hopped!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you