Friday 27 January 2017

Southland leftovers

While we were up on Bluff Hill a few weeks a few weeks ago I came across this old piece of broken down machinery. Apparently it is what is left of the radar that was used during WWII to keep watch on the South Coast for invaders. There is an information board about it but the photo I took isn't very good, and I can't read it :( 


It will soon be well overgrown I think as I had to clamber through undergrowth and climb on broken concrete to take these photos. 
A shame really. I hate seeing historic pieces disappear.


You may remember me saying how cold and windy it was on top of the hill and we decided to go and have a hot drink somewhere. We ended up back in the city and although it was still a bit blustery it wasn't quite as cold. We found a nice little coffee bar in a mall and had our lunch. We sat at a window table and the sun beamed in and warmed us up to the extent that we were soon taking layers off and sitting in our shirt sleeves.


I like this snap of my GKB as he didn't know I'd taken it
 and is quite relaxed and natural, checking out the sports pages.


I like looking at the architecture of bygone times and this building just down from our hotel caught my eye. I really like the detail on the outside of the building, so unusual to my eye. I would have liked to take more pics but was standing in the middle of a traffic island when I looked up and took this so thought perhaps I'd better move.

Wishing you all a happy week,
Diana


12 comments:

  1. Oh, it is a shame that the old machinery is falling prey to nature. It does seem that people have been forgetting the lessons of WWII more and more and that worries me greatly. Lovely snap of your relaxed GKB and the historic building. x K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, your GKB looks like he is enjoying his meal and paper. Interesting pictures of the WWII leftovers. Love the building picture - it looks very quaint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting Diana!! And I love the picture of GKB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting to find out more history about things you see. Love sitting in the sunshine....and your beautiful banner. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures...especially about the historical things...and that building IS very interesting. Glad you found a sunny spot to relax and enjoy...and glad you didn't get struck by a car while taking your pictures! You sound like me...I stop wherever I am and shoot...and sometimes don't realize where I am..but I can't miss a good picture!!! Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pics ~ great building and historical equipment ~ great shot of hubby relaxing ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a happy and fun weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love to visit old historic hotels! That one looks so charming. I'm glad you had a nice lunch and got warmed up. I took hate to see historical places go to ruin. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of history in the machinery looks as though it will be lost from sight before too long. A great pity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, the old equipment was a cool find. I enjoy sitting in the warm sunshine too. Great shot of your hubby! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it looks like that old machinery will soon be covered up.
    I like looking at the old buildings too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. It's a shame about the old machinery, Diana. I'm so glad you were able to feel the warmth of the sun through the window of the coffee shop! I like unposed photos too 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a shame that these things get overgrown isn't it. I am amazed that they were just left there and are still just left there!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you