Wednesday 12 August 2015

This is the day...

We had another dump of snow over the weekend. 
Now don't laugh at me you people who live where snow
 is a feature every winter. 
We don't get a decent dump very often but this winter
 I've lost count of how many snowfalls we have had. 
Five or six I think. 
At the weekend it was below 200 metres, 
which meant that it settled here.
Little mother decided she wouldn't go to church, 
she didn't want to risk falling. Very wise.
 
Out town is in a rural area although it is now classed as a city suburb and we are on a plain surrounded by hills and mountains.
Which still have quite a bit of snow on them.
The higher hill suburbs are still covered as well and I'm pretty sure
 the kids have had a day or two off school this week.




Earlier in the week when we went outside, 
the snow had gone from around about but it was still cold.
We'd had minus 7 C. overnight and a good, hard frost on top of it.
The picture above is of frozen raindrops on a small tree next to the fence.




Today I noticed the aloe vera was turning black,
I rather suspect it had frozen solid with the frost
 and cold and died when it thawed.
I'll have to get in and cut that out, but not for a day or two,
 it's too cold for me to do any gardening yet.



I thought I'd go for a walk along the flood bank today.
Let me tell you it was very a short walk. 
The wind was very cutting.
I stayed there long enough to get a couple of pictures of the ducks,
 who didn't appreciate me coming along and disturbing them.
They went down the bank, into the water and up the other side.
Oh well.
Then it was back home for a hot cuppa,
which is one of the pleasures of the colder weather...


...along with not having to make excuses for reading,
 watching telly, doing jigsaws, taking up knitting again
 and just generally slothing about.
And it's a good time to eat all that comfort food
 you go without in the warmer weather!


I think I told you that our Claude has only recently 
discovered chairs, couches and beds.
 During this cooler weather our outside cat 
has been found occasionally on the end of our bed,
 particularly if I won't move and let him sit in my chair.
I know, I'm mean.

But despite the cold, most days I still manage to say

'This is the day the Lord has made, 
I will be glad and rejoice in it'.
Ps. 118:24

Joining in with:
roses of inspiration

Have a lovely week,
keep well until next time,
Diana

13 comments:

  1. Oooooo...what are you knitting?
    Stay warm and enjoy the comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, one thing i do like about the cold weather is that it is a time to nest inside and indulge in all those little creature comforts. We woke to highs in the 60s this morning and my 6 am walk was very pleasant. Highs will be in the 80s but that will seem cool after all the hot temps of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this stroll though your cold, frosty day! It's summer in the US and going to be hot and humid again today. But after a horribly cold winter last year, I'm not going to complain.
    I love your cat! We have 6 - they pretty much rule the house here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems strange to hear of snow and cold when I smile every time I hear the air conditioning kick in! This winter, while I'm trying to keep warm, I'll think of your summer temps. I hope your aloe survives and you can get out and do your gardening soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it seems strange to me also to think that you have snow there when it's been around 107 F here in Texas. Today is a little better... and less humidity... thank goodness. And you mentioned the kids having a few days of school off - when ours haven't even gone back yet.
    And your Claude is precious. He reminds me so much of our Thibs who we lost at 19 a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about your winter days, it cools me down from this 90 degrees heat we have here. We always want what we don't have, lol!
    But I'll take you advice, and be glad in the day the Lord has given.
    Big warm hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Claude and my Tiger could be siblings! They're spitting images.

    Your post made me smile.
    Thanks for visiting at Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Diana and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog !
    Your visit put a smile on my face !
    With gratitude I'm sending much love

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello sweet friend! How I love seeing your pictures - you live in such a beautiful place. Fall will be arriving here soon and then winter. I love winter so I am already eager for the cold frosty days.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your surroundings are beautiful. Thanks for braving the cold to take the pictures. : ) Before you know it, it will be warm and I'll be in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You hold a touch of humor and its nice to see and read.. Though San Francisco gets no snow like that we have all days of the season in one season one day its cold but no where near your coldness the next uts hot like yesterday this morning the suns out but chilly love your great photos.. Stay cozy happy weekend with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Diana! Oh, little Claude is adorable. You let that little sleep on the bed! :) Oh, snow! I thought I liked it until last winter - we were covered up with it for months. Folks say it was one of the worst winters in 30 years so maybe this one coming up won't be as bad. You take care and stay warm.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;0

    ReplyDelete
  13. For a moment I forgot that you are in winter mode to our heading into autumn and the idea of snow in August confused me; back on track again now though. As ever, a wonderful blog, with so much colour and that wonderful cat. Our summer has been more like a mild winter lately; and it is anyone's guess what our winter will bring.

    Lovely endearing blog as always. Thank you so much for joy like this on a foggy day.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you