Tuesday 5 August 2014

World War One commemorated.



On this day when we are commemorating the beginning of  the First World War, 100 hundred years ago, I would like to honour all those men and women who went to war and fought in such dreadful circumstances. So many never came back, so many young men lost and who never really had a chance to live.

My Grandfather did come home, he told Granma he would be back, before he left, and he kept his promise. He sailed on T.S.S. Aparima on Feb. 16th, 1917, with the New Zealand Expeditionary Forces. He was a volunteer, he could have stayed home and waited for his call up papers because he was a married man with a family - but he didn't. I admire him and others like him so much. He fought in the trenches of the Somme, at Passchendale. They suffered unimaginable hardship that we can't really comprehend in this day and age. 

This was supposedly the 'war to end all wars', little did they know that in just over 20 years the world would once again be plunged into another devastating conflict.

 I honour them. 

Corporal H.B. Gifkins
before embarkation



9 comments:

  1. They were all so brave and it breaks my heart and makes me cry to think of all the young men and women, fighting and nursing, that never came home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avery nice tribute for one that served his country well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can never thank the veterans enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,Diana; wherever the country's men he is, it must be hard for them to be sent to the battle field. My late father was sent to the WWⅡ. I've never heard him talk about it and guessed too hard an experience for him.
    I hope you are having a wonderful week ahead, my friend.
    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs to from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire men like him!! They give/gave all. And a fine, fitting tribute!

    [I just read your profile Diana, and enjoyed it. An occasional cold beer is my kind of ending on any given day!] We both are in our 60s and grandmas...and I too have a cat...actually TWO cats. I'm really glad you stopped by Hootin' Anni's so I have had the opportunity to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching, interesting post.I find it hard to imagine the suffering of all those who participated,it was so so long ago-may We never forget-Hugs Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tribute. Surely a man to be proud of. A horrific war, and as you said, followed so soon by WWII. Imagine the personal loss of so many families.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful tribute to the veterans.. My father and uncles were all in WWII..It would be a scary time for any family. Great post, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tribute!

    Thank God for those serving past, present and future.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you