Thursday 25 December 2014

Te Harinui - glad tidings of great joy

Christmas greetings from my home to yours.
As you open your Christmas gifts pause for a moment to remember 
why we celebrate at this time of the year. 


'For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son
so that anyone who believes in him shall not perish 
but have eternal life'.


Two hundred years ago on December 25th, 
Samuel Marsden preached the first sermon on new Zealand soil 
to the Maori people and the pakeha (europeans)
 who were in Oihi Bay at the time. 
Today we commemorate that momentous event
 as we celebrate the birth of our saviour.


Let me finish with a well loved New Zealand carol
written in 1957 by Willow Macky.

Te Harinui 


  1. Not on a snowy night 
    By star or candlelight 
    Nor by an angel band 
    There came to our dear land
    Te Harinui 
    Te Harinui 
    Te Hari-nu-i 
    Glad tid-ings of great joy

  2. But on a summer day 
    Within a quiet bay 
    The Maori people heard 
    The great and glorious word
  3. The people gathered round 
    Upon the grassy ground 
    And heard the preacher say 
    I bring to you this day
  4. Now in this blessed land 
    United heart and hand 
    We praise the glorious birth 
    And sing to all the earth


I wish you all a wonderful Christmas
and all you hope for during 2015.
Merry Christmas,
Diana

4 comments:

  1. A very Merry Christmas to you and all your family.
    We will be going to church this evening. A good way to start Christmas. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Diana; Merry Christmas to you from Japan☆☆☆ My husband and I talked about this special day last night and had cake together (only two of us,haha)

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs to my Dear friend in New Zealand, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family! From my home in New Jersey USA to yours in New Zealand, have a blessed day celebrating Our Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Diana, I'm a little late!
    I love the NZ carol and your header. I believe the real and true spirit of Christmas is still alive and well thank goodness.
    Peace and calm to you and yours dear girl and may 2015 be filled with health and happiness for you and your family.
    Hugs
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you