Saturday 24 August 2024

Looking back...and to the future

In June last year we took a road trip to Hanmer Springs with our son and his wife. They had a discernment retreat to attend as he was seeking ordination in our church. Several couples from all over the South Island were in attendance. 


The cream house in the picture above is where they were staying and my GKB and I stayed in a motel in the township and did our own thing.  Yes, we were up in the mountains, somewhere between Canterbury and the West Coast. And as it was June it was getting near to the middle of winter :) The first night away we stayed in Rangiora and  headed to the pub next door and had ourselves a hot meal. It was cold outside but the days were dry, crisp and clear so the cold didn't matter so much.


We took walks and had a look around the area. The old sanitariium where TB patients were sent to recuperate in the early part of last century was here and we wandered around the grounds. I remember when I was a child that people were also sent here when they had had a nervous breakdown. I imagine it was a restful place to recover from either of these maladies and it is only a couple of hours to town if needed.


The day we left for home we went to the hot pools. I had my togs but my GKB wasn't interested, He took photos and relaxed in the cafe while he waited for us, which was most of the morning. 


Son, Daughter in law and me enjoying the pools. We eventually thought we should get out as we were heading for Dunedin and that was a good six hour drive away. It was hard to leave those lovely hot thermal pools though. They were very relaxing and rejuvenating.


And just because I can, a photo of Alice at her fifth birthday party today. It's hard to believe she starts school on Monday! Where did that time go?

Have a wonderful weekend,
until next time
Diana







 

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful those hot springs look. No wonder you stayed in there warming your bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful get away! Happy Birthday to Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were some of those somewhere in Switzerland but we didn't get there. Last time we experienced those was in Canada at Jasper National Park, I forget what year that was. I envy your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited Hanmer Springs one day in a May some years back. I think I dipped into every pool there, it was so wonderful :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really looks like a wonderful time and a beautiful place. Those hot springs sound WONDERFUL! My body could use that. And Happy Birthday to your sweet Alice on her 5th birthday! 5 is such a wonderful year! I hope she enjoys school so much! Have a blessed rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Diana! It looks as though you had a lovely time away in June with your son and daughter-in-law. Those hot pools look amazing! Little Alice is such a cutie!
    I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog earlier. I had put the follow widget up when you mentioned it the first time, but took it down after a few weeks since you were the only one that had asked about it and I didn't see that you had "followed". I wanted to let you know that I just put it back up, and to thank you for asking about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually been to Hanmer Springs but I hear it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely have enjoyed the hot springs.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you