Tuesday 11 June 2024

Roll up, roll up

Well, that was a day and a half, that was.
Remind me not to do it again :)

I left home at 8;15 in the morning with my son and daughter in law to head to the church hall for cheese roll making. We had barely got things set up and the young people who were going to benefit from this fundraiser turned up to help. Well some of them did. Some came at lunch time and others went home.


We hadn't cooked the cheese mixture yet so started a little later than anticipated but we got going eventually. Yes, you cook the mixture and cool it a little and then spread it on the bread.
(No, it is not just grated cheese rolled up in a slice of bread).


And then you roll the slices. It's quite a labour intensive activity really and the young people got to see how hard their Mums had worked over the years doing this as a fundraiser for their various childhood activities. 


Cheese rolls are a southern NZ thing. People have their own secret recipes and don't divulge them. They're great as a snack or with a cup of soup on a cold winters day. We can also order them in a cafe for lunch if we want but usually only in the winter. Oh by the way, to eat them they're toasted and then a little butter spread on the top.


They're very popular as a fundraiser and they're sold by the dozen in bags, so the process is: cook the mixture, spread on slices of bread, roll and pack. And then make up peoples orders.


We rolled over 3400. 

We finally finished the cleanup and left for home about 7:30pm. I had a cup of tea, a hot bath and fell into bed and stayed there until mid morning the next day.

So please, remind me to leave it to younger people next time!

9 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that you have done more than your fair share of fundraising over the years - definitely time to let the younger ones do it now!
    Last time I visited Southland I made sure I tasted a Cheese Roll. Very delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious but you are right, it's time for the next generation to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious-looking rolls thanks to you and the team of helpers. I'm sure they were appreciated, funds were raised, but let's hope you get many young people volunteering next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, over 3,400. That's a lot of rolling. I have never tasted these, only read about them recently. Must look up a recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a lot of rolls. I've never heard of them, but they sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of hard work! I've never heard of this before, but I bet they sure are good! do they have to be kept refrigerated? Just wondering how you store them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually keep them in the freezer and just take out what we need.

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of rolls. I've never heard of these either but they sure sound good and I know I would love them. I'll see if I can find a recipe for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm cheese roll making sounds like fun, I've never done it but I imagine after rolling as many as you did you wouldn't want to see any again for a while.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you