Saturday 29 June 2024

Matariki

 Celebrating the Maori New Year

This is a new holiday in the New Zealand calendar, this  year is only the third year it has been celebrated nationally.


 I have to admit that it took me some time to work out my feelings about it as this is a cultural celebration belonging to the Maori people and as such has some aspects I'm not entirely comfortable with. 


I've come to the conclusion that those who wish to will celebrate in the way it is intended and others will treat it as another reason for a long weekend with the majority taking part in activities in much the same way as they would at Christmas or Diwali or other cultural celebrations - without having a full or true understanding of the celebrations.


Matariki is the Māori name for the cluster of stars also known as the Pleiades. In Japan it is known as Subaru and in Hawaii Makali'i, and by various other names throughout different cultures.


It is also known as the wishing star. Māori traditionally would use this star to set their desires and dreams for the year, commonly known now as New Year's resolutions. (notes from the internet).

The pictures above are our town's depiction of the Matariki cluster and it looks quite special in the darkness, much better than in the photos.


Whatever you are doing this weekend have a wonderful time.

Keep well, keep warm, keep cool and enjoy yourselves.

Diana


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us all about it. I'd like to be there one year to see the celebrations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one. I love your towns depictions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to hear about the Maori cultural weekend and the way the town has depicted the occasion after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments got me thinking Diana, and you are so right. I've also not been happy with some aspects of this celebration, and I also know not all tribes used to observe it either, but realising why most people "do" something has hit the nail on the head for me. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of it but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess every culture has their own special celebrations and reasons for why they are important to them. We don't necessarily have to agree or understand it all, but perhaps we can appreciate their uniqueness and express our best wishes for them in the ways that we can understand. They probably don't understand or agree with all of our ways either. I guess if we were all alike the world would be a dull place. The star decorations are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you