Friday 3 January 2020

Welcome to a new decade

 
Well New Year celebrations are over and we have a new year to look forward to. 365 empty days to fill with life and adventures.
 I wonder what the year will bring?

 

We ended the last year looking after Sass for a few days so the family could go away over the New Year break. She and I went walking and played fetch until she tired of it and dropped the ball and then dropped herself to the floor. I thought I would get sick of it first, but no.

 She watched through the window while my GKB mowed the lawns. She also 'guarded' the house while we went out on New Year's eve for dinner with extended family. Out of town family on my GKB's side were visiting with their new baby, so it was a bit of a meet and greet time as well. An early evening though and we were in bed before midnight :)
9am
 On January 1st we awoke to orange skies - smoke from the Australian bush fires. Very surreal. We could smell the smoke in the air the evening before. The photo above was taken at nine in the morning and not long after we had to turn the lights on in the house. And they remained on all day.
11:30am
  By 11:30 am it was really quite dark. Sass wasn't happy and declined her walk and wasn't keen on being outside at all. We live on the East Coast of New Zealand, at the bottom of the South Island, and although we were expecting a bit of a haze from the fires we didn't expect it to be so bad. Runny, itchy eyes and nose are the order of the day at the moment for most of us.


The Met Service photo above shows the smoke plume in the lower left corner spilling across the Tasman Sea and reaching New Zealand. I know what we are experiencing is nothing compared to what is happening in Australia, it is really quite devastating and distressing to watch. What makes it worse is that some of the fires were deliberately lit.


On the 2nd we had a visit from Alice and her mother who are here for a couple of weeks staying with her daddy's family. Alice is to be baptised on Sunday so that will be another big family gathering - as long as we all get there. Some of us don't know where the church is but we have all been given directions, address and a map! 
So watch this space.


And last but not least, I thought I would show you the cover of the little booklets I made up for the grandchildren and their kids. These are some of the stories my little mother wrote for her grandchildren and I managed to get them ready to give out at Christmas. Number one son designed the cover and I think it looks great. I think Mum would have been pleased with how they turned out.

Looking forward to a year filled with promise.
Best wishes as you go forth into 2020 

Diana

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that little booklet of stories from your Mum. I know your family will treasure it. What a wonderful idea. Can't wait to see the pictures from your sweet grandbaby's baptism. The fires are Australia are so devastating. Praying for the people there, and also for you all as you must endure the horrific smoke. Praying God will send rain to put them out. Glad you had a wonderful Christmas, and even get to watch the doggie. They do keep one hopping! Have a blessed and joyful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so terrible about the fires and smoke. What a horrible devastation and waste. I love the sweet baby photos and your dog too. The book turned out great! How proud you should be! Happy New year! Onto more adventures this year for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is awful about the fires!!!
    Love the books. What a precious gift to have. I'm sure it will be treasured all their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana the fires are devastating and the smoke and haze so bad,I am in Victoria and the smoke is very bad,praying for a lot of rain.
    What a cutie Alice is,I enjoyed your post ,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those books are adorable! What a treasure for your loved ones to have that book written by your little mother! I have been hearing about those awful fires, and I did not realize some were purposely lit. I do NOT know what is wrong with people nowadays. I have never seen such blatant evil on display. I trust they can get the fires under control soon. Happy New Year to you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you