Sunday 19 May 2019

The end of an era

On Monday morning we got an early morning phone call to say my aunty had died. It was a shock as although she was in her 80's there was nothing to indicate she was ready go and her daughter who rang was quite distressed.


Aunty Colleen was Mum's youngest sister,  just 13 months
younger than her. They were very close and our two families
spent a lot of time together as we were growing up.


 On Tuesday we loaded the car and left for the West Coast.
Greymouth to be specific. My GKB decided we would do
 the trip in two days, he's over driving long trips if he
 doesn't need to.
 

The funeral was just what Aunty Colleen would have liked, a good send off for her. Not too much fuss and a good family gathering.
All of the families were represented apart from the Aussie branch who couldn't make it so it was a great time of cousins catching up.



Our lovely aunty was the last of her family of six siblings,
so she ended an era which started before the first World War.
We all loved her dearly and she will be sadly missed.

5 comments:

  1. Oh so sorry.
    What beautiful landscape with snow on the mountains and the greenfields.
    parsnip x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. It often seems worse when the person was the 'last' of a generation, there is an awful finality to that. I hope you are able to take comfort from your family and beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry for your loss, it must be especially hard on her daughter when it wasn't expected. Take care, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences and I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you