Saturday 9 September 2017

A slow week

It's been a slow week.
My little mother has gone home and it is 
a bit strange not having her in the house.
Our son and DIL have also been offered a flat 
and will be moving into it in the next couple of weeks.
We shall be empty nesters once more.

Tete a tete - miniature daffodils

My GKB and I decided to drive to Outram one day
 to see if the cherry blossom was out yet. It wasn't 
so we opted for an ice cream instead. While we were 
eating it I spotted the spring bulbs on sale 
and decided to buy a pot for DIL to take to her new home.
They are getting past their best now but will be lovely
 in a pot next season.

Chopped and ready to freeze

I was rostered on this week to do a meat dish for our church outreach and as the man in charge was to be away he asked me to do a big pot of potatoes as well. That was fine but what he failed to do was let the lady know who usually cooks the veges and she had done a big dish of roast potatoes. Oh well. For some reason our numbers were down so we decided not to use my spuds and I brought them home. I'll freeze them and turn them into a potato/vegetable bake dish for next week. AND I shall remember to tell everyone, lol.


I finally found a Jan Karon book and must say I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it a bit hard to get into as looking at the cover I imagined Mitford was an English village and couldn't work out why the author was using American words and expressions. Thank goodness for the internet, I looked up Jan Karon's books and discovered these ones are set in the Blue Ridge Mountains, phew. You don't realise how much easier it is to read something when you have it all in context rather than a wrong world view of it. I found it very hard to put this book down :)

Enjoy your week
Diana

9 comments:

  1. Diana, I've not heard of this series by Jan Karon before. I will keep an eye out for them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'll try to find pout some books written by Jan Karon in the library

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just started the series too and have read the first two books. I've been getting them from the library. I like them a lot.
    Glad to hear your mother is well enough to be at home now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woops, too many potatoes. Now that the hard work is done dinner will be that much faster.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I just saw a comment from you on Julie’s Scrapbook and thought I would come over for a visit. I’m very glad I did because I loved this post and smiles at your comment about the potatoes. You be sure to let everyone know :-) I will look forward to getting to know you through your posts in the coming months. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just starting to get cooler here Diana so spring is coming where you are. We have had two major hurricanes here and my area will get rain and wind tomorrow. Fortunately Irma was not the monster that was predicted but it did do a lot of damage and sent most Floridians north to safety. I had to chuckle at your description of reading Jan Karon's book. I am the same way..I have to know the area, etc to really settle in and enjoy a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quiet house gets hard to adjust to when the loved ones depart, but the rooms are filled with wonderful memories now :) Too bad about the potatoes, but it's nice to have them handy for a meal. The book sounds wonderful - I've wondered if this author was worth reading. Thank you for the review! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your mother has been able to go home and that your son and DIL have been offered a flat. Even though you have to adjust to less company I'm sure you'll be finding plenty to do around the home as well as helping with your church outreach. Enjoy your reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess it's part of life to have slow weeks but we need them now and then. Glad your mom is doing better. I know what you mean about the book and knowing where it is set :)

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you