Tuesday 15 April 2014

A brush with royalty



As some of you may know the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have just been visiting our fair country. And they brought Prince George with them. I have said elsewhere that I am a royalist so it was exciting to discover that they were going to visit our city. And then to hear they were attending the cathedral service on Palm Sunday was the icing on the cake. 



Tickets were made available to the cathedral parishioners and then to the rest of the diocese. After that the general public could apply. So I was in like Flynn. I think I was probably among the first. And tickets duly arrived for me and my little mother. Great excitement.


And then of course it was 'what to wear, what to wear'. Anyway youngest daughter took me shopping and we found a lovely jacket to wear with my good trousers but unfortunately on the day I felt the cold. Plan B came into effect and I wore the coat my sister had sent me from Australia and I'd only worn once before. Little mother wore her nice light jacket and looked lovely and insisted she wasn't feeling the cold. They made them hardy in those days.


We set off and arrived in plenty of time, went through the police check at the gate, we common people didn't get to go up the steps at the front, we went in through a side door and past several policemen. One young copper got quite embarrassed apparently when he had to tell the bishop he couldn't park his car in his usual place. 

We didn't worry about hats but some of the ladies were dressed up to the nines and looked lovely
  

No  cameras allowed inside so no photo's. I did say to my GKB to bring the camera and take a photo of us outside the cathedral - but he forgot. Never mind, such is life. He wasn't that interested really and was just acting as taxi driver on the day. So I made sure he took one when we arrived home and before we went inside.

leaving the cathedral with the Dean

We had a terrific morning, the duke and duchess were lovely and relaxed, and I have to admit that I fell in love with the royal family all over again. It was the closest I will ever come to royalty, just 2 inches between me and the duke with no barriers between us at one point, exciting!

And something that was really special was knowing that the family were excited for us. My sisters got in touch from Australia, my son and his wife from Japan, my grandson rang from out of town and our daughters both called to see how we had enjoyed our morning. Magic.

They leave the country for Australia tomorrow and I hope they enjoy their time over there as much as we have enjoyed having them here.


I had to share my excitement with you.
Have a great week,
Diana




6 comments:

  1. Dearest Diana;
    OMG; I'm SO jealous now p;) Must have been SO exciting to see them close. And how wonderful to be able to see the royal family with your mother!!! You two look gorgeous♡♡♡ Haha, I smiled about your dear husband's reaction.
    I DO remember the day well when our Emperor and Empress (young prince and princess at the time about half a century ago) passed our city. Little me and mother lined up along the road to see them p;)
    Thank you very much for reminding me of the phrase "icing on the cake. to the nines"♪♪♪
    I really enjoyed reading your post, my friend in New Zealand.

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, what a wonderful experience! Your words convey exactly how special the visit was to you, and I am very excited for you, too! I love our royals! I think we are very lucky to have them. A happy memory for you and your lovely Mum! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO exciting! I am very happy for you and little mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a royalist myself Diana, what a thrill that you shared this exciting event with your blog-friends! You and your 'little Mother' looked perfect for the occasion. Great weather too (well cold maybe) but not wet! What a truly great memory to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I'm a royalist too but haven't had any up close and personal experiences with any of them. I collect their pictures on Pinterest though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see your happiness, and didn't you look elegant!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you