Saturday 2 March 2013

A birthday on 'Girls Day'

March 3rd is Hina Matsuri or Doll Festival in Japan. 
It is also known as Girls Day. 


My daughter in law, who lives in Japan, 
was excited to find out it is also my birthday.

The Japanese Hina dolls  are very formal.

photo taken from Wikipedia page showing Hina Dolls
displayed in a store in Los Angeles. 
The dolls at the top represent the Emperor and the Empress.
In all there are seven tiers,
each one ranking lower than the one above.

I thought I'd show you a couple of my dolls.
They're both porcelain and quite different.


This elegant lady, dressed for the snow,
was given to me a few years back 
for Christmas by one of my daughters 
and her family. Isn't she gorgeous?
It's a pity the colours don't show up well,
 the dress is a beautiful emerald green 
with gold snowflakes.

And this wee sweetie...

...dressed in a pink petticoat and ribbons and lace,
would be all of four inches high,
 if she could stand.
She was also given to me for Christmas
by a friend and workmate several years ago.

I have more dolls but I'll show them to you another day.

wishing you all the best 
in the days ahead,
Diana


6 comments:

  1. Dearest Diana,
    OMG, Happy Birthday to you "girl's Day" lady♡♡♡
    I only know one girl (who was my student) born in March 3rd. I appreciate you so much for introducing the Japanese festival through your blog. When I found that the mice destroyed mine (living old house, haha) when young, I cried p;)
    Your dolls are really pretty♬♬♬ I happened to post about he festival today as well(*^_^*)

    Sincere Congratulations to my friend in New Zealand;
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best for a very happy birthday, Diana!

    Hope you have a lovely day doing lovely things.

    God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Happy Birthday Diana, I hope you have a wonderful day. Your little dolls are so pretty I especially like your doll with the beautiful green dress.
    I also really like your header picture - such a beautiful area.
    Have a great week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy happy Birthday, Diana! Oh, the little dolls are so pretty and it's always wonderful when I can learn something new!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Diana.
    Such a great post...thanks for the info on the pretty dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I would love to go to a doll show. Looks like you had lots of fun. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you