Sunday 21 April 2024

Another sunny Sunday

The sun was shining and so we decided to go on a short road trip down to Lake Waihola and have a stroll on the lakeside. And maybe grab a hot drink before heading home. We headed down the road behind a horse float and I couldn't help smiling as I remembered our daughter in law's astonishment at seeing a "car for horses" the first time she was over from Japan on holiday.


But as we travelled south the clouds started coming in and we thought it wouldn't be very pleasant down at the lakeside. So we decided to take a detour to airport and do some people watching and plane watching instead while we had a drink. The sky was looking a little moody over Mangatua.
 

A new feature at the entrance to the airport was this 'rainbow crossing'. Well it was new since last time I was there early in January. I hope it doesn't become as controversial as the one in one of our larger cities which was painted over by an objector who then ended up being prosecuted for his trouble.


People were only just starting to arrive for their flights so we were able to get a table reasonably close to the windows and where we could see what was coming and going.


One of our national carriers taxiing up the tarmac for takeoff. I prefer this livery to the all black one with the silver fern on it. 
Photo taken through tinted glass.


And some lucky person's private jet parked up. The owner could be in Queenstown as the pilots often need to fly the jets to Dunedin to park them due to lack of space to park in Queenstown for any length of time.


And a statue of our Southern Man is outside the entrance. A tribute to our high country farmers and stockmen. The horse is so realistic I kept expecting it to move while I was taking the photo.


Southern Man plaque. 
Speights is the name of the local beer brewed in Dunedin.


Autumn colours, I couldn't resist taking a photo as we were driving away from the airport. It looks much better in reality and some of the trees are looking decidedly bare but others still have a lot of leaves.
But that's autumn I guess :) 



I hope you've all had a good weekend.
Keep well until next time,
Diana

5 comments:

  1. We call them horse trailers here. :) Took me a minute to figure that out. Isn't it interesting the different words used in different locations?
    That horse statue is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very nice time being out and about. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Southern Man on horseback sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People watching can be funny and interesting especially body language. The rainbow road is in Karangahape Road in Auckland, it was in the news recently I think wasn't it? Shame that this religious group isn't obeying Jesus' most important commandment which was to love thy neighbour. I have been a Christian for about 25 years or so and I know it's not my place to judge others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place for people watching.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you