Thursday 17 August 2017

A short stroll around the lake

While my little mother was in hospital recently I had the opportunity to go for a stroll around Hamilton Lake or Lake Rotoroa as it is known in Maori. Ten minutes walk from my motel I found the lane I had been directed to and walked from a busy city street to a tranquil lakeside walkway.


There  were marvellous houses backing onto the lakeside, some with low fences and others opened up to the lake vista. 
The lake was surrounded by native flora and of course
 a lot of bird life.


Quite a number of cheeky Pukeko,


a solitary Shag,


Mallard ducks,


a few Australian coots, (related to the Pukeko)


and a good flock of Canada geese.


I came across a wonderful children's playground


with this fabulous climbing fort. 
There was also a nice cafe nearby but I never went in,
 I didn't have time as I was heading back to the hospital.


Of course there were also the usual doves or pigeons, 
you don't go far without seeing them around.


The sun was getting low in the sky as I headed back
 to the entrance and I got this shot of the lake.

I enjoyed this nice peaceful walk, away from the 
hustle and bustle of the city and everything happening at the hospital, a lovely way to recharge my batteries.

8 comments:

  1. Our world is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting to see a quiet oasis in the big city. It is nice that it is available to the people of the area. We all need the calm of nature now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You discovered a beautiful walking spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place...yes, that was a good respite from the hospital activities. No wonder Jesus often went away to a quiet place, often along the water's edge, to rest and get away from the crowds and be with His Heavenly Father. Also, I think about the 23rd Psalm..."He leadeth me beside the still waters...He restores my soul"... So lovely today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana! So nice to hear from you and see you're still having a grand time. I appreciate your comments and it's nice to be back.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! I trust all is well with your little mother. Praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place. I would love to take a walk there. Hope your mother is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you